Back in the day, I was obsessed with owning my favourite movies and TV shows on DVD. I still remember asking for the first Harry Potter DVD for Christmas and being completely thrilled that my parents had bought it for me…and spent $30 to give me the privilege of being able to watch my favourite movie four times per week (which I’m pretty sure I did). I amassed a large collection over the years, but I have recently found other things that I like to buy which I felt I could use the space for. Purses, shoes, my new KitchenAid stand mixer (!!!!!)…all of these things warrant the space my DVDs once held now that I am an “adult” (or so they call me).
Before I get into details, take a look at this before and after…
I figured the best way store them was to get as many DVDs in as small a space as possible and I recalled that I always used to store my CDs in various CD “books”. However, the dedicated books for DVD storage are expensive and (usually) unattractive. So I decided to make my own!
I bought 1 inch binders with reinforced rings. I found that reinforced rings made the binders a slight bit more expensive (less than a dollar more per binder), but more functional given the weight that ends up on the rings. I also bought a full pad of scrapbook paper with attractive designs that fit my aesthetic. Finally, I bought DVD inserts to go in the binders.
When I had the idea for the project, I was still looking for a job and as such, was quite sensitive to cost. In short, this means that I started this project a year ago and just finished it on Tuesday after finally deciding that it was worth the money. The other implication of this is that I had a lot of time to research and get exactly what I wanted. I finally settled on purchasing these DVD sheets. They were not overly expensive compared to other options (only $25 for sheets with room for 200 DVDs) and also had the DVDs set in to the edge of the sheet. This means that the sheets won’t stick out the side of the binder, which helps keep it attractive on shelves.
The only actual crafting which needed to take place was creating the covers for the binders. The binders I purchased had a plastic overlay, meaning that I could alter the cover and side as I chose. I used the scrapbooking paper and cut it down to size.
For a one inch binder, I measured 11.3 inches x 10 inches for the front cover and 1.3 inches x 11.3 inches for the side. Conveniently, 1.3 inches was exactly the width of my ruler which made measuring the side quite easy. Before you think that’s a typo, the 1 inch designation refers to the rings inside the binder, making the outside side of the binder over 1 inch (it caught me off guard as well!)
After creating my covers, I took a walk down memory lane and organized my DVD collection (alphabetically for my sanity).
I would recommend not putting more than 6 sheets in each 1 inch binder. This number can obviously be increased with larger binders, but I found that 6 sheets was the maximum for the width of the binder and the weight of the DVDs.
I was quite pleased with the end result.
Much cuter and much less space – they easily fit on my bookshelf! I have also made two more binders with a 2 inch width to organize my bills and my recipes. All in all, a very successful craft!
Now to figure out what fun things I can do with those empty DVD cases…